At Deefer College of Diving we believe in price transparency - the price you see is the price you pay! There are NO hidden costs.
See below for a full list of what's included & what's not included in our IDC program.
Do you want to share your passion for the underwater world and conservation with others? Are you looking for an IDC that will give you the business focus to become a successful dive professional whether as an integral member of a dive centre team or even as dive centre owner?
Then our PADI Instructor Development Course is just the thing for you!
Here at Deefer College of Diving we have a team of dedicated and experienced dive professionals and marine biologists waiting to share their passion for conservation and responsible dive training with you.
At Deefer College of Diving we provide personalised PADI Instructor training and give you the tools to go out into the dive industry and really make an impact with your knowledge and skills, and act as ambassadors to inspire others to protect our oceans through our Marine AWARE Instructor Development Course (IDC).
Our program is based on PADI’s standard IDC curriculum covering all that PADI require, but we are not training you to be just another instructor. We want you to be advocates for the marine environment and to teach others to be, so we have developed our IDC with an emphasis on the environment to ensure you really stand out from the crowd!
Our next PADI IDC course will start on 23rd February 2018. The total package price for this 2 week IDC is $3840.00. Candidates are welcome to join us beforehand to get a head start on theory & skills practice, and just to enjoy some beautiful Caribbean diving! Pre-IDC dive packages are available at discounted rates - just let us know how much time you have and we'll send you a quote!
We believe in full transparency when it comes to pricing and dislike nasty surprises as much as you do, so our IDC includes everything you need to become a PADI Instructor! As part of our 2 week IDC package you will get the following:
• Instructor Development Course
• EFR Instructor course
• IDC Crew pack, RDP, eRDPml and Pocket Mask
• EFR Instructor manual
• All PADI application and examination fees
• 14 nights shared accommodation including breakfast and dinner
• standard dive equipment rental
• 2 days of fun diving pre or post course
Let us quote for your PADI Instructor Development Course! We want you to have the best possible preparation, and are happy to spend pre-IDC time practicing skills and going over theory, as well as getting in some fun dives!
What’s not included:
• travel to and from and around the island. Click here for travel advice.
• lunch and drinks
• any extra day trips etc
• specialist equipment that you are required to have by PADI standards as a dive professional
Why not add one of our fantastic Equipment modules to your package. Every dive professional should look professional!
PADI’s Instructor Development Course (IDC) is made up of two parts – Assistant Instructor (AI) and Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) training – but most professionals complete the full IDC followed by the Instructor Examination (IE) to earn the PADI Instructor rating.
Throughout the process you will build on the leadership and supervision skills you learnt during your Divemaster training and develop your teaching abilities. This will be done through a combination of self study, instructor led presentations and in-water assessment and workshop sessions. You will learn how to present information in the classroom and clarify theory points for students, organise and conduct skill development sessions in conﬁned water, and how to maintain control (and have fun!) in open water training sessions.
You will learn about a variety of topics that will set you up to be an integral and successful member of the dive industry such as:
• Teaching children
• Business, sales and marketing strategies
• The speciﬁcs of each course you will be certiﬁed to teach
• Risk management
• PADI’s philosophy of education
You will also come out with a wealth of environmental and conservation tips, tricks and initiatives and the conﬁdence to teach others about it. Our IDC also includes 1 day for the EFR Instructor rating which is required to become a scuba instructor. Upon successful completion of the IDC you will attend the Instructor Examination, which is PADI’s totally independent evaluation process, which actually certiﬁes you as a PADI Instructor.
On successfully becoming a PADI instructor you will be authorised to teach the following courses: Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, Divemaster, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and AWARE Coral Reef Conservation.
To enrol on a PADI IDC you need to:
• Be at least 18 years old,
• Be a certiﬁed PADI Divemaster or Assistant Instructor, or the equivalent from another training agency (check with us if you're not sure!)
• Have been a certiﬁed diver for at least 6 months
• Have proof of a minimum of 60 logged dives (100 to be certiﬁed as an Instructor)
• Have documentation of certiﬁcations for PADI Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue and Divemaster training, or the equivalents from another training agency
• Have medical clearance from a doctor of ‘ﬁtness to dive’ within the last 12 months. Click here to download the PADI Medical Statement.
• Have documentation of EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within the last 24 months, or the equivalent from another training agency.
If you don’t currently meet the diving prerequisites, or have questions about the eligibility of non-PADI certiﬁcations please contact us with details of your current level of experience and we can put together a personalised program that meets your speciﬁc needs!
Required materials included in your package price:
IDC Crew Pack containing:
• The Guide to Teaching with hologram (both digital and paper versions)
• Instructor cue cards for all courses
• Specialty Instructor Manual (digital)
• Open Water Course Prescriptive lesson guides
• Diving Knowledge Workbook
• Open Water Lesson Planning Slate
• Conﬁned Water Lesson Preparation Slate
• Student Skill Practise slate
• Open Water Course Quiz and Exam booklet
• Rescue and Divemaster Exam Booklets
• EFR Instructor Manual (digital or paper)
• RDP and eRDPml with instructions for use booklets
• Pocket Mask
You should also have, from previous training courses:
• Instructor Manual – digital or paper version. This should be the most up to date version. The latest Digital version is available from the PADI Pros site.
• Previous course manuals (Open Water, Advanced, Rescue, Divemaster)
• Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
In terms of equipment, all standard scuba gear use is included in your package price should you need it, however it is strongly recommended that as a dive professional you have your own set of gear to be a good role model and also for comfort reasons. We have a range of equipment packages available including ex-rental equipment.
There are a few items of equipment that a dive professional is required to have on them, that are not included in your course. You should have your own:
• Dive Tool
• SMB and reel
We also have these items available to for purchase on the Equipment page.